Property Manager Fire Safety Tips
Heavy Equipment Ignites Flames
We talk a lot on here about tips for homeowners and business owners, but what about those that manage multi-unit dwellings. According to the Rental Housing Journal, the top 5 tips property managers need for fire safety for the units they manage are:
- Perform a Fire Risk Assessment of the entire property. This assessment will help you, the property manager, identify potential risks for fires.
- Install smoke detectors and smoke alarms. Early detection can save lives in the event of a fire. However, installing is not the end of this – you must also test them twice a year to make sure they are in good working condition.
- Initiate a “no smoking” policy. You can impose policies that prevent tenants or guests from smoking in the units, hallways, common areas or enclosed spaces. This is the #1 cause of civilian home fire deaths.
- Create an evacuation plan and make sure your tenants are educated with regard to the plan.
- Engage in regular preventative maintenance. Be sure to check electrical systems, HVAC systems and make sure weed abatement is conducted routinely.
SERVPRO can help with assessing your fire risk assessment as well as with any clean-up that may be required in the event of a fire.
Give us a call today at 760-244-2566 if you need assistance getting this important safety plan in place, we are here to help!
Fire Season Already?
Fire Season seems to come earlier every year. With that comes the need to remind people how they can be proactive in protecting the families, homes and businesses from some potential hazards. At SERVPRO we work closely with home owners and business owners along with their insurance carriers when they experience a loss due to fire, so we reached out to one of those Insurance Carriers to get some tips that they would give their policy holders.
Helpful Tips from State Farm:
- Protect your family, home or business with smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors and make sure they are properly installed according to manufacturers directions. If you use battery operated units, check those batteries at least monthly by testing the unit for functionality. If it doesn’t sound an alarm, replace the batteries immediately.
- Have a fire extinguisher handy and remember the key word “PASS”. Pull the trigger to release the locking mechanism, Aim the nozzle low and at the base of the fire, Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly, Sweep the nozzle side to side to extinguish the fire.
- Review your home for potential fire hazards:
- Check electrical cords for fraying
- Review extension cords – avoid “octopus plugs” or using multiple extensions cords plugged into on another
- Examine light switches for buzzing or sparking – replace if either of these things are happening.
- Review light bulbs – do not use higher wattage bulbs than the device calls for.
- Examine clothes dryer – keep it clean and free of lint.
- Glassware can create a concentrated ray that cold ignite paper or wood.
- Loose batters if they connect with other forms of metal can create an electrical charge that could cause a spark.
- Electric blankets – keep them flat while using and make sure they are certified.
- Practice Fire Safety
- Talk to your family about fire safety
- Have a plan to get out of a room or your home if a fire occurs
- Agree on a meeting place to make sure everyone is out safely
- Practice your plan at least annually.
Hopefully these tips will help you or at the very least spark the conversation with your family. If a fire damage occurs, SERVPRO of Hesperia/Apple Valley and SERVPRO of Barstow/Twentynine Palms is here to help.
Rain, Rain, Rain
Rain, now that is not a word you hear used a lot in Southern California. It is however a word we would all love to hear right now. Fire season is upon us right now and everyone is focused on those type of events but let’s not forget about how a heavy rainfall can also create massive problems for our homes and businesses.
Flashfloods can come out of nowhere when we do get the occasional monsoon type weather in our desert areas. We have all seen the news reports when an event like this happens, cars/trucks stuck in waist high water with their owners being rescued; mud, trees and debris flowing down a street and into people’s homes devastating their lives; high volumes of water rushing down a city street seeping into businesses and parking garages causing thousands of dollars in damages. Water, mud and debris from a flashflood does not discriminate. These events can bring massive amounts of water, mud or debris into your home, business or car and who can help clean it up – SERVPRO of Hesperia/Apple Valley and SERVPRO of Barstow/Twentynine Palms.
SERVPRO is a trusted leader in the industry bringing with them over 50 years of experience in the fire and water damage restoration industry with over 1,400 franchises across North America, SERVPRO is amongst the premier companies in our respective fields.
Standing in Water?
Imagine waking up in the middle of the night to check on your kids and putting your feet on the floor only to find that your feet are in 6 inches of water. Believe or not, this scenario happens more than you think.
How would you handle this?
Who would be your first call?
How many towels would you have available to sop of the water?
Where did it come from?
What am I going to do now?
These are some of the first things that would likely run through your mind. While trying to remain calm, he first thing you want to do of course, is check on your family. Once you know everyone is safe, try to locate the source of the water and get it stopped. It could be a toilet supply line, shut it off immediately. It could be a busted pipe under your sink, shut the water off immediately. Maybe you have no idea where it is coming from – call SERVPRO!
With over 50 years of experience in the fire and water damage restoration industry and over 1,400 franchises across North America, SERVPRO is amongst the premier companies in our respective fields. If you experience a loss like the one described above, call SERVPRO of Hesperia/Apple Valley or SERVPRO of Barstow/Twentynine Palms at 760-244-2566 and we will work with you to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Busy Minds think Alike
As business owners our minds are always racing with a million different thoughts: are we going to make payroll this week, are our employees happy, are our customers happy, how can we create a better experience, how can we build our business and on and on.
One thing we sometimes fail to think about is what do we do if we experience damage to our physical structure via water or fire. What if when we go to remodel or expand our space, we find mold or asbestos – who can help us. That’s an easy one, SERVPRO of Hesperia/Apple Valley or SERVPRO of Barstow/Twentynine Palms. We have the experience and expertise necessary to handle these issues with as little disruption as possible.
We will remediate and repair the damages “Like it never even happened.” With over 50 years of experience in the fire and water damage restoration industry and over 1,400 franchises across North America, SERVPRO is amongst the premier companies in our respective fields. Give us a call today to see how we can partner with you to take care of your structure, 760-244-2566.
The inner workings of a business can be fascinating. A lot of businesses in the Victor Valley area sort of blend in with the scenery. How many times have you driven by an industrial complex or strip mall full of grey or white non-descript buildings and thought twice about what they were? Many of these businesses don’t include any type of large signage and if they do, they don’t necessarily want to advertise it publicly for numerous reasons.
SERVPRO of Hesperia/Apple Valley and SERVPRO of Barstow/Twentynine Palms performed a commercial cleaning at one such building in Apple Valley. In the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, it seemed as though we were doing these cleanings at a different business every other day and they all sort of began to blur together. When I was asked to go shoot video and photos there, I wasn’t even entirely sure what type of business I was walking into. When I arrived, I saw that it was a “physical rehabilitation center”. With a name like that, I expected some treadmills and maybe some light weights. I was wrong.
I found myself inside of one of the coolest and most modern gyms I have ever seen. It was fully equipped and getting ready to open for its clients, who happened to be patients of all varieties from a local doctor’s office. It was a lesson in never judging a book by its non-descript cover.
If your business needs a cleaning of any kind, don’t hesitate to call us today to set up an initial inspection. We are here to help.
Perception is an interesting thing.
Some people see red where others see pink. Some people think olives are delicious while others can’t even be in the same room when a jar of pimentos is opened. Conversely, there are some things that are indisputable truths regardless of the person experiencing them. For instance, nobody likes the smell of skunk. Another good example of this is mold. Some describe it as “earthy”, others say it smells like dusty plants. No matter what, it smells like trouble if you’re not prepared for it.
Mold is everywhere. It is a naturally occurring and, when kept in check, isn’t a big deal and is typically undetectable to the human eye. Problems begin to arise when mold spores are allowed to continue growing behind walls or under floorboards, typically as a result of moisture, darkness, and certain atmospheric conditions. It is very easy not to notice if you are unaware of a leak.
A lot of people have heard about the ill effects of black mold. Most of these people may not know that mold can’t be killed. It can be remediated, which essentially means to reduce the negative impact mold can have on a person by returning it to normal levels. This is done with a combination of proprietary cleaning agents that SERVPRO of Hesperia/Apple Valley or SERVPRO of Barstow/Twentynine Palms has at our disposal.
If you think you may have a mold infestation or a leak behind a wall, give us a call today. We are here to help.
She’s a beaut!
That’s a gorgeous leather sofa you’ve got there. You know the one in your office? It would be a real shame if anything were to happen to it. It must have been expensive.
Is that smoke I smell?
The devious conversation above is strictly for the purposes of this blog, but the fact remains: furniture is just one of the casualties of an office fire. The last thing anyone thinks about in the event of a fire is their furnishings, which is completely understandable given the high stakes involved. You should be focused on escaping without harm and making sure everyone you work with is present and accounted for. At the same time, life goes on and things need to be recovered and that doesn’t come cheap. The good news is that insurance exists for that exact reason, and most companies are pretty good at fulfilling that purpose.
The other thing insurance companies are great at is working with restoration companies they know and trust, either based on the fact that they’ve used them before or their reputation.
That’s where we come in!
SERVPRO of Hesperia/Apple Valley and SERVPRO of Barstow/Twentynine Palms are fully equipped and ready to help our customers get their businesses back to preloss conditions. Whether it’s fire, water, or mold, SERVPRO is a name you can trust.
By the way, sorry to hear about your couch.
Wind and heat only equates to one thing for the residents of the Victor Valley: wildfire season is upon us and ready to get to work early this year. SERVPRO of Hesperia/Apple Valley and SERVPRO of Barstow/Twentynine Palms know a thing or two about wildfire season, which is exactly why we want to share some hot tips (the pun was too easy to pass on) with our readers to make sure that even with fire season in full swing, you’ll stay cool as a cucumber.
To clarify for those who may not be familiar with our services, SERVPRO is an international fire and water restoration service provider. We handle things like flood and house fire damage for insurance companies and individuals alike. We have been in business for over 50 years and in that time, we have seen just about everything you can imagine. California’s weather seems to creep in earlier and earlier every year, but the steps we recommend haven’t changed.
- Keep your rain gutters and yard free of combustible debris: Yes, that includes dead leaves. This debris works as an excellent fuel for fire. Time to have little Billy earn that allowance he keeps hounding you for!
- Keep fire extinguishers nearby high-risk areas: This includes kitchens, grills, fireplaces, and any other place where an open flame can quickly spread.
- If all else fails, call SERVPRO: Fires are awful but they certainly happen. In the event of a fire, give SERVPRO of Hesperia/Apple Valley or SERVPRO of Barstow/Twentynine Palms a call. We have the knowledge and experience to restore your home or business to preloss conditions and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Put a smile on!
Friends and family are arguably the two most important things in life. The time a person spends in good company is the most valuable type and in this current era of easy connectivity and seamless conversations via social media or cell phones, it’s easier than ever to find new friends and reconnect with old ones.
SERVPRO of Hesperia/Apple Valley and SERVPRO of Barstow/Twentynine Palms understand the value of a friendly conversation and a smiling face. Our technicians aren’t just the best at what they do in a technical sense; they were hand-picked for their personalities, as well. Suffering the loss of a home or business to a fire or flood isn’t something to be taken lightly, but that doesn’t mean the experience has to be entirely negative. The last thing you should have to deal with during a difficult period is a cold or callous contractor or restoration company that wants to collect a check, finish the job, and head home. That is precisely how SERVPRO of Hesperia/Apple Valley and SERVPRO of Barstow/Twentynine Palms are different.
Even in the midst of a loss, it’s important to us that we make you as comfortable as possible. A smile and a conversation can go a long way and they can definitely ease the inherent pains that come with any type of loss.
If you have experienced a fire, water, mold, or any other type of event in your home or business, call us today. We’re here to help, both by getting you back to preloss conditions and helping brighten your day.